Social determinants of health are the cause of health inequalities, such as differences in mortality and morbidity rates between neighbourhoods.
Marmot has discussed the causes of health inequalities in detail. This measure focuses on four items:
- I have a good education covers school, college and lifelong learning
- I am valued for what I do covers social status and respect
- I live/work in a healthy place covers environmental issues
- Addiction is not a problem for me covers use of alcohol, tobacco, drugs and gambling.
- Marmot M. The Health Gap. The challenge of an unequal world. Bloomsbury 2015.